Monday, December 21, 2015

1848 Stage Coach Wood Model Kit by Latina (Body Assembly)

With the two Body Sides complete I framed up the cab.

I started the framing with a bottom and two end pieces, it is important to double check the "squarness" it would be very easy to get a twist cemented into the pieces.
The thin plywood from the kit is attached.

Next was all the stringers, this turned out to be a two step process; first I laid in one layer but that was very difficult to get even so I then placed another layer over that. Ultimately the plan is to be able to sand over all the stringers uniformly   so they apear seamless. The second layer also allowed me to precisely create the door cut-lines (very important)
My next experiment is filling the edges of all the stringers, there are many ways to skin this cat, this is one.

This is the 1st layer of Spackle applied to the edges of the stringers, the new Spackles on the market are substantially easier to use than the old ones.
This is the 1st time I have tried this material but after all those years of buying fillers that are very expensive and take forever to dry I challenge anyone to come up with something better.

Here is what the WF coach looked like last summer in Oxford Mi.

Getting very close to painting.




More to come........

No comments:

Post a Comment