Monday, December 14, 2015

Elector Otto Heinrich 16th century Armour - IMEX Plastic Model Kit

While reading so much of Sir Walter Scott's writings, Ivanhoe and the like I became interested in the details of the Armour.

Coming from a background of Automotive Body Engineering and years of auto-body repair before that I have a unique understanding and appreciation for the efforts and skill that went into the making and decorating of these fine works of art.

High technological development with no science to back it up required the skills of years of experience. just the making of steel was a batch process that would have become state secrets.

The Imex 1/12 kit is perfect, I quit making plastic model kits for the second time about 15 years ago but they are so appealing sometimes.

Having some experience with paints and how un-metal like they can look I decided to go with
Bare Metal Foil Chrome, this stuff is great. After plating it I used a foe gold leaf for the enhancements.





The base is a piece of Corian, helps add weight and looks like a marble floor. The base that came with the kit is exactly what I don't like but would be fine without any other resources.

I couldn't leave it shiny so I antiqued with some military paints. The foil really can be formed and stretched into every crevice.


Thinning the fat plastic edges is a must.





Kunsthistorisches Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment